Sunday, July 1, 2012

Buffalo Chicken with Avocado-Goat Cheese-Jicama Relish


This is a recipe that my daughter Lisa pinned on Pinterest, and Kathy had her eye on it for a while before she remembered to suggest that I make it sometime.  Glad she did.  Among other things, it is the very first time that I really liked jicama -- I will like it always from now on.

Lisa found Buffalo Chicken with Avocado-Goat Cheese-Jicama Relish on the Elly Says Opa! blog, and I have added that blog to my favorites. 


I feel better after reading Elly's description of her results - her breading didn't stick very well either. (Next time I will do the flour-egg-coating routine.) I don't feel so bad about mine now.  Anyway, my chicken may have been a little ugly, but it was delicious!

Buffalo Chicken with Avocado-Goat Cheese-Jicama Relish
Servings: 4
Ingredients
4
medium chicken breasts, about 4-5 oz.
2/3
cup
buffalo/wing sauce
1
cup
breadcrumbs
2
Tbs
canola oil
1
large avocado, diced
1
cup
peeled and diced jicama (about 1/2 of a jicama)
3
oz
goat cheese, crumbled
2
radishes, thinly sliced and halved
2
Tbs
chopped parsley or cilantro
Juice of 1-2 limes
How to Make
1
Pound the chicken breasts to about 1/3″ thickness.  Place in a dish or bag and toss with the buffalo sauce. (You can do this in advance and just leave in the fridge or do this in the beginning, before starting the rest of your meal).
2
Season the breadcrumbs with salt and pepper. Remove the chicken from the buffalo sauce and dredge in the breadcrumbs.
3
Add 1 Tbsp. canola oil to a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Once hot, place 2 of the chicken breasts in the oil. Cook until chicken is done, flipping once, approximately 3 minutes per side. Remove the chicken, add the remaining oil, and cook the second batch of chicken.
4
Meanwhile, make the relish. Combine the avocado, jicama, goat cheese, radishes, and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper to taste; add lime juice and lightly mix to combine.
5
Serve the relish on top of the buffalo chicken.
Source: Elly says Opa! blog
Web Page: http://ellysaysopa.com/2012/02/14/breaded-buffalo-chicken-with-avocado-goat-cheese-jicama-relish/
Tips
When I looked at this recipe, I thought it probably needed a bit of cornmeal in the breading. I processed some corn meal in my spice grinder to get something like a coarse corn flour and used that in the coating with the bread crumbs. Really a great addition!
I had the same problem that Elly at Elly Says Opa had -- the breading didn't stick very well. Next time an egg wash after flour and before bread crumbs.
Author Notes
*If you don’t want to pound your chicken, pan-fry it as usual for about 2 minutes per side and then move to a 375° oven to finish cooking. If your chicken is too thick, the coating will burn before the inside is cooked thoroughly.



This is a picture of Elly from her Elly Says Opa! blog.  She is a cutie, and she has at least a kajillion good recipes.  She is from Chicago, my favorite city in the world -- and that also says something good about her. You ought to try her blog sometime. 





No comments: