Sunday, June 13, 2010

Brazilian Coconut Shrimp


I don't need to say a whole lot about this one.  If you love shrimp on the grill, you just have to try it.  This recipe for Brazilian Coconut Shrimp started with one by Steven Raichlen in his How to Grill.  But I don't like green bell pepper, and I like ginger more than he does, and it does not need any basting or extra lime at the end, so I changed the recipe around.  You should do the same.  This recipe idea is really flexible, and you should make it in just the way that sounds good to you. I would not have thought about marinating shrimp in coconut milk, but with the ginger and jalapenos, and just a touch of char on the edges, it really has a pleasant spicy, slightly sweet flavor that is perfect for summer.

Raichlen thinks his recipe would also be good with scallops, fish, or chicken, skewered or not.  I think this variation would, too.  If you don't want to take the trouble to skewer everything, just grill some chunks of onion and red bell pepper.

We had it with a salad and some leftover (!) potato salad. Don't remember for sure what we drank with it, but looking at this picture, it strikes me that your favorite ice cold beer would be perfect -- sit out on the back porch and watch the antelopes run around while you eat.